Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Reproductive Care

The notion of dehumanizing a women in order to humanize an unborn baby is fascinating.  It seems as though there is a cultural assumption that if a woman is pregnant she must be elated to be in such a condition.  As a result of this belief we think our excitement surround her baby belly is well received and perceived as excitement for and with the mother.  In actuality this may not be the case.  Just because a woman is pregnant doesn't mean that she is happy for it or that she is having the pleasant "I love being pregnant" experience. Due to this, the excitement surrounding the baby, instead of bringing joy to the mother, could just be detrimental.  I've never been pregnant so I've never had to think through this before but thinking on it now I find it fascinating that this discussion is not being held on a larger scale.  I wonder what it would take to get this discussion to be held on that larger scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment